Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Feeling broken

Well I don't really know where to begin. I've been going through a rough time lately. I'm feeling pretty depressed, pretty down. But I don't really think it is bipolar related.

I realize that I have always been an emotionally unstable person. As far back as I can remember, even into early grade school I recall having emotional problems. Getting older, into adolescence, I had a very dysfunctional home life, and that only contributed to my feelings of emotional instability. I remember being about 15 years old, going through hell, and thinking "When I get older, things will get better." But the truth is, they never have. I'm turning 30 this year and mentally, I don't feel any different than I did back then. I suffer with anxiety, perfectionism, dependence, unstable self image. I feel as if there is an empty hole in my soul that I have been searching all my life for something to fill. And at times, I do feel better, and I'm able to function, and I don't think about it. But ultimately, it is all just a cover, and the emptiness always returns. I regress into a helpless, child like state where I need others to care for me, to protect me, to validate and affirm me. I try to alleviate the feelings of anxiety and self loathing in unhealthy ways, by both isolating myself as well as clinging onto the people close to me in my life. I have always been a person who is extremely sensitive, someone who needs a lot of love, a lot of affection and affirmation. Most of my life I don't feel that I received that which in turn, has magnified all my emotional issues. I feel lonely, confused, lost, broken. I have a pervading sense of being worthless, useless and empty that continues to plague me no matter how old I get or how much time passes. I wish I could be a "normal" person...a well adjusted person, a functioning person. But at times I just don't know how. I feel like I'm constantly using defense mechanisms to prevent myself from feeling so much negativity. Everything ties into everything else, and if only it could be a simple fix to say "Do this and that will go away" but with our mental health it is never that easy. The mind is the seat of all we are as human beings. When our minds are fractured and broken, it affects every part of our lives. So I'm left here now, not knowing what to do, feeling helpless and longing for elusive happiness and stability.

2 comments:

  1. Wow reading this, I could totally relate. This is how I have been feeling. I am honestly glad I came accross your blog, it's somewhat comforting to know your not alone even when you don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete