Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Weather affecting my depression, and new meds

I’m on yet another new medication, for about the last week or so. This time it’s Abilify. I’m still on Risperdal as well, and I think the Abilify may actually be helping somewhat. Since I started it my depression has not seemed as bad. I don’t know if it’s actually doing something or I’m reading into things, (aka placebo effect), but I have felt pretty decent the past couple of days and I’m glad for that. We’ll see how long it lasts or if it continues.


Right now I am dealing with the onset of winter, and that is hard. It is cold, snowy and just generally bleary outside a lot. It hasn’t hit the bad part of winter…that won’t be for another month and a half when the temperatures hit -40 degrees F. UGH. I don’t think I’m going to handle it very well this year with all that I’m already dealing with. The cabin fever tends to overwhelm me and make me freak out, regardless of my mood, after awhile. I’m trying to be more active this winter though (as much as possible) by going out to concerts, sporting events, plays, movies, etc. at least once a week so that I get out among the human population and feel like I am a part of civilization. Truthfully, my husband and I are talking about moving next summer, if possible, back to Florida where we lived for the last few years. My moods were not drastic like they have been since I came back and I really believe the weather is having an impact on my moods, both manic and depressed. This may just be too extreme of a place for me to live anymore. Though I grew up here, since moving away and coming back, it seems much worse than it ever did before. So, we have the winter and spring to sit and decide what we would like to do, or try to do.


As for now I heard about this thing called the Happy Light, which is used for people with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). It supposedly really works to help improve mood and energy and I’ve seen a lot of reviews of people who have used it, so, I figure it can’t hurt. This weekend I’m headed out to get my own and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment