Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Borderline


Love and hate
They seem like such simple concepts to grasp
Such basic emotions that we feel deep down on a fundamental level
We love the things that are good
And loathe the things that are bad
And it sounds so very simple
That no one could mistake one for the other
No one could confuse the two
But that is how I live
And where I exist

The love/hate dichotomy is one that makes no sense to me
And therein lies the problem
If I cannot separate out
Two such diametrically opposed emotions
How can I understand myself
Or anything around me?
I understand love
And I understand hate
Two opposite ends of a spectrum
That do not meet in the middle
So when I’m confronted with a situation
Where love and hate converge
I cannot understand, I cannot make sense of it all

Like being told it is night and day at the same time
Black and white
Logically I know it can’t be true
Rational thinking tells me so
But the feelings are still there
Co-mingling
And it has caused a split inside of me
With my mind fractured into a million pieces
A complete breakdown of function
The inner conflict unresolved
Left to roil and bubble
To stew and fester and eat at me like a cancer
Nagging and nagging
The two parts being drawn together, yet pushed apart
Like magnets

And everything I thought I knew is in question
Love and hate
Right and wrong
Good and bad
I do not know what is what
I cannot trust my own mind
It’s a torment that I live with
Day after day after day
Unending
Hating you and loving you at the same time
On the borderline

9/8/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment