Thursday, August 28, 2014

Caffeine, anxiety and our mental state



So I would say it is pretty much common knowledge that caffeine isn’t the best thing for us, especially in large doses. I was never a huge consumer of caffeine when I was younger, I would drink soda here and there and coffee and tea occasionally. In the last few years I got to where I would drink a cup of coffee a day as a “treat” full of sugary creamer (ok, yeah, I have a major sweet tooth.)

But when I had my son a year and a half ago, I started drinking mass quantities of coffee every day because I HAD to just to be able to stay awake. I’d go on about 4 hours of broken sleep a night dealing with a new infant, and having to take care of my him, plus my two other kids. It was killer. I needed that “pick me up” just to be able to get through the day and not fall asleep half way through. I would regularly drink 4-5 cups of coffee a DAY. It didn’t really seem to have too many adverse effects at the time, perhaps because I became so acclimated to it that it didn’t hit me anymore and I didn’t notice. Granted I was stressed constantly so maybe I attributed all that to the new baby. I’m sure the coffee made my sleep patterns worse, in retrospect.

Now, I have a better sleep schedule and get more sleep every night (although sometimes still broken since my son sleeps in my bed.) I stopped drinking so much coffee, but find that I still enjoy my morning cup of coffee (flavor wise anyway). However my body is saying NO. I now realize that any time I drink coffee it has a terrible effect on my nervous system. My anxiety level begins to rise as my heart rate gets rapid and I start to feel jittery, my stomach starts clenching up and my nervousness increases. It’s been bad enough that I have had to, a few times, take some Ativan to counteract the physiological effect on my body and get my heart rate to slow and the jitters to stop. That was the case this morning, which is why this is on the top of my brain at the moment.

So, it brings me almost full circle to talk about our moods, and caffeine’s effects on our mental state. Here I am, trying to relax, with my nice warm coffee in the morning and it is doing the absolute opposite to me – getting my body so riled up that it cannot calm itself. YIKES. A crappy, crappy feeling.

There are so many things that we do to ourselves (whether it is physical, such as drinking caffeine, smoking, doing drugs, eating unhealthy food loaded with sugar and chemicals). We don’t even think most of the time about the effect it has on both our body and our mind. Deep down we may KNOW “Caffeine causes anxiety” or “Sugar in large amounts makes me gain weight” or “Too much salt depletes water stores.” Yet we keep on drinking our coffee, eating our candy bars and chips and cookies. A lot of times it is because they are easy, and sadly, cheaper than “real food” like fruit and vegetables.

So one of my goals is to start doing more research into the nutrition element and how it affects our mental health. There is not nearly enough pertinence given to it, and my last counselor mentioned this. She was quite knowledgeable about nutrition (she said that she had ADD and has to manage her food to help manage her mental state.) She noted that it is important for everyone, especially those with a mental condition to monitor what goes into our bodies. I never really gave much credence to that before. I figured “If I’m not overweight, I’m fine.” We don’t stop to think about how intricate the human body is and how delicately it is maintained.

I remember taking an in-depth anatomy and physiology class years back and learning just how involved all these molecular processes are. It’s absolutely amazing how all these things function together. For example, the brain’s primary nutrient is glucose. Without enough glucose, it cannot work to its full capacity and can indeed die. A lot of the glucose we get comes from our food supplies (in various forms). So, if we have a bad diet, let’s say our brain gets too much glucose or not enough. Do you think that will have an effect on how our brain works? Surely. But people don’t think about these things. Today, so much emphasis in the mental health field is placed on medication and managing these things with medication. I’m going to assert that other things are just as important, perhaps even MORE important than medication. But, that is a post for another time J

Just throwing some info out there for you all, to watch how much caffeine you drink, and also to watch the processed food you put into your body. It affects you whether you recognize it or not.

3 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as "bipolar". Psychiatry itself is a bogus science. The following articles and essays explain this:

    12 Part essay that exposes psychiatry as a bogus science
    http://antipsychiatry.org/

    Inventor of ADHD: “ADHD is a fictitious disease”
    www.currentconcerns.ch/index.php?id=1608

    Co-Founder of DSM admits there is no way to scientifically prove that mentall illness is real
    www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-disorders/psychiatrists-on-lack-of-any-medical-or-scientific-tests/

    One year old babies and younger being put on psychiatric drugs
    http://www.infowars.com/babies-on-psychiatric-drugs-crime-with-no-punishment/

    Psychiatric Drugs Shorten Life Span by 15 years on average
    www.stopshrinks.org/reading_room/antipsych/psych_drugs_shorten_life.html

    Psychiatry is based on lies and falsehoods
    http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/the-lying-liars-who-lie-about-psychiatry/

    Psychiatry is a fake science
    http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/more-evidence-psychiatry-is-a-fake-science/

    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_industrypsychiatry26.htm

    Every human emotion is now a "mental illness"
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_industrypsychiatry27.htm

    Ten Myths about Psychiatric Drugs
    http://www.metzelf.info/information/myths.html

    Studies show psychiatric drugs have no benefits and are dangerous
    http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/three-new-studies-show-%E2%80%9Cpsychiatric-drugs-provide-no-benefit-and-are-dangerous%E2%80%9D/

    Psychiatry is now giving 3 year old children drugs
    http://www.anh-usa.org/medicaid-psychiatric-drugs/

    Psychiatric drugs make you sicker
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2012/03/05/are-psychiatric-medications-making-us-sicker/

    A few free eBooks talking about how psychiatry is a massive hoax
    http://www.psychiatric-help.org/PSYCHIATRIC-HELP/default.asp

    A list of THOUSANDS of psychiatrists who have committed crimes against their patients
    http://www.psychcrime.org/database/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The field of psychiatry certainly has its issues and I do believe that medication is over-prescribed today and causes more issues than it solves in many cases. I have my own issues with the psychiatric organization, however the argument that "bipolar disorder doesn't exist" is tired and old and holds no weight. It doesn't matter what something is called, the fact is there are millions of people dealing with a lot of mental health issues and these are not all "in their heads". It's far too complex of an issue to get into in this reply alone, but suffice it to say, there are a lot of factors that come into play in anyone's mental state: their nutrition, exercise, stress level, occupation, relationship status, personality traits, hereditary predisposition, etc. You paint a black/white picture which isn't completely accurate. Not to mention you cite "sources" that are not credible and that clearly have an agenda. I believe that many psychiatric drugs are indeed bad for people, but others have some merit. It depends on the situation, what drug it is, and other things. If you are truly concerned about people buying into psychiatric hype, I would suggest you spend your time doing something more constructive, like perhaps getting involved in your community and offering some solutions instead of just anonymously complaining about the psychiatric community. It does nothing but waste people's time rather than helping them. Not to mention, I have to question your motive at all considering how rudely and insensitively you approached the issue in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have to have caffeine, not from coffee though, but from ABB. I know I know, the preservatives, right? Well I workout 7 days a week--5-6 days of weights, 7 days of low intensity cardio. I need my pre-workout/post-workout caffeine.

    It's actually a stimulant that has a boosting intensity performance during exercise and post-workout it's good for recovery as it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. A small book I read a while ago was called "Sustaining The Caffeine Advantage."

    It's better than prescription stimulants like Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine. They're highly addictive and can damage the heart.

    Anyway, I was a Nutrition/Dietetics major at Benedictine University, but now my major is Philosophy. I've found that after 2 years of ECT, my short-term memory and memorization skills in general are horrid. So I switched, especially because I'm an abstract thinker anyway.

    Well, I found you on "You've Got This", figured that you're very insightful regarding your own condition which prompted me to share your YouTube video with a friend and my real father. My friend loved it--my father, well, I doubt that he watched it.

    Getting back to the physiological effects of caffeine--yes, it can cause increased anxiety, however, in my case, I take a blood pressure medication (25mg TOPROL XL) and Klonopin as well. So the ABB drinks don't really make me jittery. But yes, it can activate adrenaline and noradrenaline in the brain and literally in drastic respects, give you panic attacks.

    That's tough that you had to deal with your little merp (son) sleeping 4 hours then waking up hearing the sounds of a crying baby. 4-5 cups of coffee might have made that anxiety go through the roof, but you were trying to cope, though it's a diuretic, so it could make the medication you take less effective because it's excreted out of your system pretty rapidly.

    Okay, I hope that you get this. You're an intriguing person, an actual someone that could possibly have an intellectual rapport with. Your insight and intellect is appalling and it struck me so I thought it good that I contact you because it'd help to hear from your own perspective what you've read in this entire message.

    A brief history about me (off-topic again I know)...I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 Disorder w/psychotic features and have since I was 21 and I'm almost 38 now. I've been hospitalized 10-15 times since my first diagnosis and found that reading all about the condition did me the most good.

    I've been on so many different medications it's ridiculous. But I have a new doctor now and she's trying to get everything reduced since my previous psychiatrist of 8 years had me on maxed out doses of so many medications. This new doctor has tapered me down a lot.

    I'd say that the biggest challenge is dealing with ignorant people. Now that Robin Williams is gone, there's been more talk about his Bipolar Depression. I just read an article on AOL regarding it. People just think that it was just depression, but he had Bipolar. It gets out more awareness on people who have mental illness or just in general I like to just call "mental health issues." Mental illness is too drastic for my pallet, it gives off the wrong impression. To the layperson, it seems a bit drastic.

    I do agree with you that people with the disease can live successful lives, it's just difficult when it takes almost 15-20 years to say "yeah, I'm finally in remission."

    All the best,

    Ryan

    Author/Owner of Secret-Face.com.

    ReplyDelete