Monday, March 2, 2015

Rapid cycling, depression, mania, mixed, it's everything! Blaughhhhh



My eyes are completely burning. I realized I haven’t posted much other than poetry for awhile now so here I am. I have a headache. It’s been a really long day. This may be partially incoherent. I’ve been prefacing a lot of my interactions with people that way lately. Oh well.

So I think it’s safe to say that I have been up for a large portion of the last 6 months. Which is all well and good with me, and in ways is enjoyable. But now, it’s starting to go into this rapid cycling/mixed type stuff, which is not so enjoyable. However, it is reality, so I figured I should document it.

A few months ago my husband and I separated again. Then in January, I started school again. So, there has been a lot of stress and just a lot of demands on me physically and mentally. So that’s just a quick background leading to today.

Stuff is sort of a big jumbled ball right now. One minute I’m bouncing around with the energy of 10 men (ok, women) and the next I’m tired and dazed. For a few days I’ll get very little sleep and be just fine and dandy, and then it switches and I will barely have the energy to get through the day without falling asleep, and on top of that, when I do sleep, it will feel like I could KEEP sleeping for a whole week or more. The constant energy fluctuations are hell on me.

One day I’ll be talking to everyone who crosses my path and listening to everyone’s stories and the next day (literally, the next day) I’ll be sullen and walk into class and not say one word to a soul. I’ll just want to sit and wallow and ruminate. But then hours later, or the next day, I pop up again, and will be laughing and jumping and all of that crazy stuff.

I go from being able to concentrate well in class and “get” the material to being completely distracted, unable to concentrate at all, finding the material confusing and getting bogged down by it, and then stuff just falls through the cracks.

Now the ups I certainly like. But I DON’T like the downs mixed in there. In fact, the fact they are even there at all is kind of starting to make me a bit angry. Also the constant flip/flip/flip like a metronome is starting to wear on me. On top of it, I think I’m starting to notice a few psychotic type things happening and so that is raising a red flag to me. In the past, when I have had longer periods of mania that have psychotic elements, it kind of has the same pattern. Things begin to rise and then I just become more erratic to the point where everything gets confused and meshed together and it becomes hard to distinguish. I visualize it as a ladder, and each day I go up and down the steps and can be at any height at any time not only day to day, but throughout the day as well.

So, lately, I have had the idea of meds on the brain off and on. I really really do not want to take them. So I’m holding out to see if I can manage another couple of months. Once May hits my stress load will lower dramatically because I will be out of school for the summer and I’m sure that will help some.

This wasn’t super detailed because I really just am too tired and headachy to think much. But, wanted to explain a bit of what’s been going on recently. I know my videos have been fluctuating between depressed/rambling/dejected and overly happy/hyper so this was just my quick explanation of recent events.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much stress at this time. I hope that things will improve for you soon. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much stress at this time. I hope that things will improve for you soon. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that with your vids. I am going through the *exact* same thing, girl. I just got out of the hospital for depression with psychosis and suicidal ideation, and then I slowly got to feeling better but really groggy/out of it/low energy, and then I got manic and my last few vids have been hyper/high energy and now i feel shitty again. :( I've never cycled this fast. It's driving me nuts.
    I hope you get to feeling evened out soon. Big :hug:
    Luna_ from youtube

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi can you return to me plz in inuyasha221@gmail.com I need to ask you something about your youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole, Ugh I feel your pain.
    Don't know if I'm up down or sideways at the moment, I miss the days when my ups were a gradual increase and peaking just before they got too scary. Not anymore, sitting on the edge of a cliff clutching a bottle of pills one day and trying to get a car loan for a car I ant afford the next because I think I can work every day for ever I will be able to pay it off... sigh I've started trying to document it too -if nothing else to look back on and gauge my moods unfortunately I have a terrible habit of only writing when I'm depressed so not sure how accurate it will be! Good luck with the meds thing - I hate taking them, but I do - mostly, every few months I tend to decide I don't need them any more and go off for a few weeks hiding the evidence from my other half. - usually I get such bad withdrawals after two weeks I go back on them again.... Bluh. Anyway, great to finally read your blog, have watched the vids for some time now. Thanks for making me feel normal LOL.
    Bel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I think everyone who read this post, can feel your pain.We all wishing you that you will recover soon.
    ____________
    Bipolar Disorder Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nicole,
    Monday June 15, 2015
    I just watched your past three videos, “About to hit the meds”, “Attachment”, and “The Struggle”.
    I felt a compelling need to write you after hearing what you said. I chose to write you here on your blog as I figured I would not have enough space on YouTube. I ‘m also not sure if writing a reply to a post back in March will ever reach you but I hope it will.
    Please allow me a quick introduction. My name is Stephen and I am 61 years old. I have suffered from bipolar type 1 with psychotic episodes since the age of ten. I am very happily married to my soul mate after my bipolar destroyed my first marriage of 20 years. I am also a christian who is strong in faith.
    I have lived in the deep deep darkness of despair and depression where suicide seemed the only option to stop the pain. I also had a very successful career that spanned 28 years. I attribute my success in the business world to the prolonged manic states I would have. Work feeding the mania and the mania feeding my work.
    I went undiagnosed until I was 38, my first hospitalization as a result of my first wife coming home early one day to find my knelling on plastic sheeting in the closet with a 45 stuck in my mouth.
    I have lived, although different to what you are living but I know all to well the need, want, and desire to live the manic life. I know all to well the risky yet seemingly normal, behaviors in my mind, that come from not being able to control the the out of control manic highs. It seemed perfectly normal to me to go out and buy a $50,000 boat while living in land locked Denver Colorado. Imagine the surprise on my first wife’s face when I drove up with that. It seemed perfectly normal to me while sitting in an executive meeting to jump up on the boardroom table and moon the Chief Nursing Office and the Chief Financial Officer. That put a quick end to an otherwise lustrous career.
    If only we could in some way control our bipolar mania. To enjoy the high and all the good feelings and productivity we get but not let it become destructive. But, we can’t, we’re bipolar!! We can no more stop the risky behaviors and we can sticking a gun in our mouth, even with my strong christian foundation. You are right in saying that we are addicts always looking for that next manic episode that we are so addicted to. And why not? It’s the only time in our crazy bipolar life that we feel alive and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continued,

    Nicole, I have watched your videos for a long time. I have watched you suffer through the depression and the mania. I have watched you go through the tough decision to take meds or not many times. Bipolar is a horrible illness to have. Yet we live with it every day.
    I know how you feel about meds and not wanting to take them. I agree with you that the side effects are many and most are not good. It’s a very personal decision we make for ourselves; for all sorts of reasons. For me the meds are not the addiction. The addiction is my bipolar behaviors. The meds actually help me to live a more stable life. Less likely to go to risky behaviors and sducidal thinking. Is my life now somewhat boring? Perhaps. But I am less likely to go around the bend. They do help me to be less addicted to my bipolar behavior.
    I will say that I was very lucky to find a great psychiatrist who was also an excellent pharmacologist and we worked for a couple of years to find the right combination of meds that keep me stable. I have found that over time some meds lose their effectiveness and we have had to make changes along the way. For the most part I do live a stable live free from the high mania and deep depressions. There is always the struggle with all the other baggage that comes along with bipolar. The anxiety, the stress, and the social anxiety among others. It will always be a fight and we will never be normal until someone finds a miraculous cure.
    I will openly admit that there are times when I stop talking my meds. It is a little difficult now for me as my wife is a psychiatric nurse and monitors my intake closely. Also I have found at my age now my manic phases journey quickly into psychosis and the high I used to get now results in confusion, hallucinations, and paranoia.
    You are right it is a daily fight and I’ve been fighting it for 51 years. Good times and bad and the older I get the more blurred that line becomes.

    Take care in your battle with bipolar and keep up the good fight.

    Stephen
    bipolarxforever@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. My name is Perry. I have been fighting bi polar for years.

    I understand how it's a vacuum for many things that we just can't do.

    I hope you stay as positive as you can.

    ReplyDelete