Saturday, January 3, 2015

15 Weird things about my brain

So I found this list I made a long time ago and had forgotten I made! It is so true though so I figured I'd go ahead and post it, just for kicks. "Weird things about my brain!"


1)     I think in pictures.

2)     I always multi-task.

3)     My mind is never “at rest”

4)     I get bored easily and must always be doing something. No one would ever use the word lazy to describe me.

5)     Once I have mastered something or learned a great deal about it, I lose interest in it.

6)     I can usually see all sides of a point.

7)     I am neither a “big picture” person nor a “detail oriented” person. I am both. Strangely, I am equally as good at macro and micro. I can think up original ideas, formulate plans, put all the little pieces in place and carry it out from start to finish by myself.

8)       I tend to be a perfectionist. Going along with this, I tend to be control freaky. If something is not up to my standards, I would rather it not be done at all. Most of the time, I do it all myself and am proud that I did. It’s hard to delegate because I often find (this sounds incredibly conceited, so I apologize) that it isn’t done well enough if I let someone else take it over. I do believe the saying “If you want something done right, do it yourself.” I wind up with 100x as much work. It’s both a blessing and a curse.

9)     I think in long one person monologues a lot. That is probably why I am good at writing. I just write the very-long-never-ending-sentence-that-is-constantly-harrassing-me-at-all-times-in-my-head on paper. Then it’s out. Then I can move on (sometimes).

10)  I’m both emotional, yet logical. I’ve been told that I’m good at “arguing emotion using logic”. A little bit of a paradox to many, but hey! Most things about me are!

11)  I can actually feel processes in my brain sometimes. I’m assuming it is the electrical activity that is generated that causes this. I have yet to know of one single other person who has described this, so I feel like a bit of a weirdo there. Often when I consume large amounts of information (TOO much), I will go to sleep and as I am falling asleep, I can actually feel bits of information going to the places they need to, like a magnet is drawing them there. If I go to sleep addled, I wind up waking up and the first thing I think upon sitting up out of bed is AHA! And all the information is in its place and makes sense immediately upon my waking. It’s like I took in the info, went to sleep, and while I was sleeping, my brain was organizing. Odd.

12)  I am a huge organizer. I love organizing, and re-organzing.

13)  I make lists for everything, both mental lists and those I write down and cross off. I always have a mental tally of what is going on. Sometimes it is so much that it actually becomes counterintuitive, and I become forgetful!

14)  I have a terrible memory. I cannot remember names well at all.

15)  I am attracted to people much more based on their intelligence than looks or status or anything like that. If I see someone as having a great skill or being very adept at something or having much more knowledge than the average person, I find myself incredibly drawn to that person and excited by them. It’s like a “brain orgasm”!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your videos and blog entries. I have been dealing with bi-polar disorder for 8 years and have,for the most part, felt outstandingly isolated. Reading your "15 things" list above almost brought me to tears. I know that is a bizarre thing to tell a complete stranger, but reading that was like looking into a mirror and for the first time seeing eyes starting back. Other than the fact that I have an above average memory, I 'live' that list every day. I have tried so many times to explain to people what I'm going through and have only been able to say, 'it feels like my brain is on fire.' No one comprehends what I mean. Reading your blog and watching your videos somehow made me feel closer to humanity; it made me feel like I was part of the human condition, instead of an aberration of it.

    Thanks again,
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could hug you right now! I am sooooo happy to hear you say what you did. Sometimes when I post things I think "This is completely useless. Who cares about this nonsense!" But to know that it actually made someone feel better makes all the difference to me!!! You are not alone!!

      Delete
    2. It is comforting to know that there are others that are struggling and fighting like I am. I wish there were a support group or something legit that wasn't tied to some ridiculous clinical trial or institution. I know it helps me out so much just even having this small contact with you.

      Delete