Friday, October 10, 2014

Correlation between Mania and Anxiety


My anxiety has been high for quite some time now. I’ve actually been having panic attacks often. I think that that underlying anxiety plays a big part in mood fluctuations. The physiological state of anxiety actually is not much different from the physiological state of being excited (happily). Both can cause: restlessness, a jittery feeling, racing heartbeat, racing thoughts, shortness of breath. The only difference is that anxiety is manifested in fearful behavior such as paranoia/irritation/anger whereas excitation is manifested in behavior like sensory seeking/risk taking/euphoria.

I noticed this back in April and made a video journal about the correlation between anxiety states and elevated or “manic” states.

So currently, as I said, my anxiety has been quite high. However the physiological symptoms I mentioned above fluctuate with regard to whether it manifests as fearful anxiousness or excited elation. It cycles back and forth, back and forth over the course of the day. At times the anxiety comes out as a panic attack, then it will flip on a dime and become excited elation and I will start to compulsively do things. Something to get into in another post.

1 comment:

  1. I could relate to this story.I have suffered from anxiety disorder and It can really affect some circumstances.Since then this site was helping me battle with my stress treatment. Maybe this site will help http://anxieti.org

    ReplyDelete